Friday, April 24, 2009

Sliding Phones

I’m two different people at the same time. I spent almost a year living in Eastern Europe. When I moved back to the US, I made seven round trips in a 3-month period between the two locations. When the airplane touched down, I would put my clunky smartphone away and take out my dinky flipphone (or vice-versa).

Each phone features a roster of local phone numbers and saved text messages from that locale. I customarily call M-- and S-- (or J-- and G--) and find out what’s happening on the ground that night. It’s been four months since I last touched down but I find I still belong in both places. I live in two different universes: two different sets of friends, histories, conversation topics, shared experiences, and goals. But I'm the same guy.

s.d.

2 comments:

  1. I can identify.
    You are a lucky guy to "belong" and be "at home" in 2 very different places...
    You are an adaptable person also, a "chamelon" in some ways.
    Just remember, everyone in the U.S. misses you
    but soak in everything in Europe while you are there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screw it.
    Dress up.
    Leave a False Name.
    Be Legendary.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
(C) Copyright 1998-2013, All rights reserved by the author. You can email me at: gumbynotpokey@yahoo.com