Friday, February 6, 2009

Nervous to Blog

Taking the first step is usually the toughest part of finishing something.

I think of all the deadlines I’ve had in my life: lab reports in high school, term papers in college, and PowerPoint presentations at work. I procrastinate like everyone else. I will never wait until the night before and pop caffeine pills. I do, however, wait until the ninth or tenth hour. Given six weeks to finish an assignment, I will proceed as follows:
* Days 1-37: wait
* Day 38: compose outline
* Day 39: compose rough draft (typically the longest night)
* Day 40: compose near-final draft
* Day 41: sleep on it (surprisingly important!)
* Day 42: change a few words around and submit

I feel miserable until I start the process but I still wait. Perhaps I’m lazy. More likely, it’s difficult for me to start something because I feel like it will set the tone for everything that follows. And I don’t want to make a mistake in the early stages. So I wait until an idea strikes me in some random flash of brilliance--and when that doesn’t happen--I wait until the deadline approaches.

The irony is that my finished product is usually quite far from where I started. I could have saved myself days of misery if I had only known better.

s.d.

2 comments:

  1. I think that your progression towards a finished product is normal. As a matter of fact, the sleep on it comment is something that I believe strongly in. It's very important to sleep on it if you feel there will be any controversy. I must say that you probably get started on the project sooner than me. In college, I used to wait until 2 days before a major paper was due. This would always lead to an all night session. It was not very smart but I always got A on my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that you waited until I was well beyond college to share the latter wisdom with me.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
(C) Copyright 1998-2013, All rights reserved by the author. You can email me at: gumbynotpokey@yahoo.com