Saturday, February 14, 2009

Life is a Journey

There’s an interesting poem by Rabbi Alvin Fine that describes life: “Birth is a beginning / And death a destination / But life is a journey ... We see that victory lies not / At some high point along the way / But in having made the journey / Stage by stage / A sacred pilgrimage ...”

Even though I’m not a particularly religious person, this is a powerful and overwhelming concept. I saw this in a prayer book when I was a small child and it stuck with me. I’ve tried to live by it. Sometimes, I feel as if I’m in a rut and the next high place is so remote that I can’t possibly bear waiting. So I try to emphasize the importance of appreciating the present for all that it offers. I feel I’m succeeding in becoming more patient--at least most of the time.

As I meet others on their respective journeys who find themselves in similar ruts, I hope that I help them to emerge. I pray that, rather than just being a step along the way, I succeed in accompanying them to their high points.

s.d.

4 comments:

  1. People are high points
    Mountains are high points
    lovers are high points
    Life combines all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you succeed a lot of the time--you are a Gift along the road of Life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a blessing to your friends and the next time you find yourself in a rut, remember these borrowed words from someone much wiser than myself.

    "That which will be shrunk
    Must first be stretched
    That which will be weakened
    Must first be strengthened.
    That which will be torn down
    Must first be raised up.
    That which will be taken
    Must first be given."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know who you are; thank you for the words.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
(C) Copyright 1998-2013, All rights reserved by the author. You can email me at: gumbynotpokey@yahoo.com